Commendations & Complaints
The West Carrollton Police Department is proud to provide modern, quality law enforcement services to the citizens, businesses and visitors of the city. In order for the Police Department to continue providing the highest quality service, the performance of its employees must be closely monitored. The Police Department is sincerely interested in both rewarding above-average performance and in taking corrective action in those instances where an employee fails to meet our standards.
The following information will tell you how to:
Provide recognition for an employee whose work is considered worthy of praise; or
Make a complaint against an employee who is believed to have acted improperly.
Citizen Commendation Procedure:
1. To commend or compliment the performance of a West Carrollton Police Department employee, notify any supervisor or the Chief of Police.
a. by coming in person to the Police Department at the Civic Center during business hours Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.;
b. by calling the Police Department’s Administration number of (937) 847-4668; or
c. by mailing comments to 300 E. Central Avenue; West Carrollton, OH 45449
2. When a commendation is received verbally, the receiving person will complete a memo and forward it through the chain of command to the Chief of Police.
3. Letters of commendation from citizens are posted for all department employees to view. The Police Department and its employees appreciate the effort and consideration of concerned citizens who take the time to commend employee performance.
Citizen Complaint Procedure:
It is the policy of the West Carrollton Police Department to investigate all allegations and complaints of misconduct against any member of the Department. Proper adherence to the provisions of this policy will clear the innocent and facilitate prompt and equitable corrective disciplinary action.
1. A complaint against a department member should be made to the Shift Supervisor or Deputy Chief either in writing, by telephone (937) 847-4668 or by coming to the Police Department located in the Civic Center. Anonymous complaints will be investigated to the fullest extent possible.
2. Citizen complaints which require disciplinary action are referred to the Deputy Chief for investigation. Citizen complaints which allege criminal violations, corruption, brutality, etc. shall also be referred to the Deputy Chief.
3. The Department representative receiving the complaint will fill out a Departmental Complaint Report and promptly forward it to the Deputy Chief for investigation.
4. A thorough investigative report will be completed and forwarded to the Chief of Police who will review the findings and make a final determination as to the action to be taken. Any disciplinary action taken against a member of the department will be kept confidential as required by state law.
5. The Deputy Chief of Police will notify the complainant of the disposition of the investigation.
The disposition of the complaints are classified as follows:
Unable to Verify
Substantiated Misconduct Not Based on Original Complaint
For further information, or to file a commendation or complaint, write, call or email:
Deputy Chief David Wessling
West Carrollton Police Department
300 East Central Avenue
West Carrollton, OH 45449