City Communications Manager
Department: City Manager’s Office
Employment Status: Part Time
Salary Range: $25.93 – $38.89/HR, DOQ+
GENERAL NATURE OF WORK: The City of West Carrollton, Ohio is seeking candidates for the position of City Communications Manager. This is a part-time position with an average of 28 hours per week, with flexibility in work hours. The position reports directly to the City Manager.
The City Communications Manager coordinates the development of communication efforts by the City, including production of a quarterly newsletter, managing the City’s social media platforms and the City’s website, managing the City’s branding efforts in addition to other special projects including media and event support, electronic billboards and community engagement efforts. The City Communications Manager also publicizes City activities and facilitates communication and organization of special projects.
EQUIPMENT & JOB LOCATION: The job location is in the city civic center executive offices. The position requires excellent content creation and writing skills for social media and community communications. Must be task oriented and have a trouble shooting mindset of marketing and on-line efforts. Understand general website interface and have comfort editing software products such as WordPress for website. General knowledge of public relations, brand management and visual layouts.
Starting salary negotiable depending upon qualifications.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Listed examples may not include all duties that may be found in this position.
- Coordinate and publicize city-sponsored events, serving as the coordinator of advertising, media, and marketing materials for such events.
- Organize and produce media relations for all city departments, including emergency communications when necessary. Writes and sends news releases promoting city staff, events or accomplishments to local print, radio and television contacts.
- Utilize social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to inform and engage community.
- Monitor all city social media platforms regularly, also utilizing Archive Social or other service for records retention.
- Edit and maintain content for the city website.
- Coordinate government access informational videos. Includes collaborating with all departments, writing and editing scripts, editing recorded video and publicizing to residents.
- Write and produce quarterly citywide newsletter
- Create, maintain and update annual marketing budget/plan.
- Write and edit annual Mayor’s State of the City Video.
- Respond to requests from media and coordinate responses and interviews.
- Provide communications update at City Council meetings.
- Work with Economic Development Director to promote new and existing businesses with news releases to local media.
- Other duties as assigned.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES TO BE DEVELOPED:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as standard office equipment is necessary.
- General familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite – In-Design, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Ability to manage tasks as well as effectively plan and organize multiple initiatives including, but not limited to: maintaining City brand efforts; increasing community engagement; securing and managing executive level City events such as Ribbon Cuttings and Proclamations; maintaining relations and communicating City service announcements; supporting the Parks and Recreation events programming.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with city officials, fellow city employees, and the general public.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to conduct effective interviews and communicate effectively.
- Ability to prepare reports, write and edit documents for publication and perform other necessary clerical and/or administrative duties.
- Ability to exercise independent thinking, judgment and decision-making.
- Knowledge of city goals and objectives, public relations and community resources and services.
- Skill in dealing firmly, tactfully, and courteously with the general public and city employees.
- Skill in program development and interpersonal communication.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Social Media, Public Relations, Events or other similar area of study/experience is required.
- Previous social media, marketing and public relations experience preferred.
- A desire and aptitude for public service a must!
Applications are available at the West Carrollton Civic Center, 300 E. Central Ave., between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday:
Download Employment Application
Download City Communications Manager position description
Please email the following:
- Completed employment application;
- Resume outlining all applicable qualifications;
to the Kayla Long. All Electronic applications will also be accepted with attachments in .pdf or Microsoft word format. Input ‘City Communications Manager ‘ into the subject line and e-mail to email@example.com. Open until filled.
The City of West Carrollton requires post offer, pre-employment background investigation. Minority and female candidates are encouraged to apply/EOE.