The West Carrollton Police Department along with the Miami Township Police Department and the Law Enforcement Exploring program is recruiting young adults ages 14 to 20 to be a part of Explorer Post 433.
The Explorer program was established to provide an opportunity for young adults to learn about the law enforcement profession by working closely with sworn police officers so that each explorer post member will have a better understanding of the role of a police officer in society. The department provides each member a set of written directives detailing the organizational structure and the duties and responsibilities of the explorer post members.
Explorers are non-commissioned and if in good standing, are given the opportunity to accompany police officers during duty hours and observe the officers in the performance of the various tasks. If approved to participate in the explorer program, they are not permitted to act in a sworn capacity nor will they be permitted to carry firearms. Each explorer receives orientation training courses and additional training on a variety of law enforcement specific topics at the direction of the explorer post commanders. Explorers are issued explorer uniforms that are clearly distinguishable from those of sworn officers to avoid placing the explorer in any possible hazardous situations, and to avoid confusion to the public.
Requirements for Membership:
- Applicants must be 14 to 20 years of age and a U.S. citizen or legal resident (14-year-olds must have completed the 8th grade.)
- Be currently enrolled and attending high school or have a high school diploma (or GED equivalent.)
- Pass a physician’s or licensed health-care practitioner’s medical evaluation and be documented on an Explorer Medical Evaluation form.
- Have no record of arrest or conviction for criminal offenses or crimes of moral turpitude.
- Must not have more than three moving violations and/or at fault accidents during the past 24 months
- Applicants under the age of eighteen (18) must have written permission from both parents or legal guardian(s) to participate.
- Applicants are required to pass a background investigation.
- No use, past or present, of illegal drugs or abuse of prescribed drugs.
- No dismissal from any Explorer Post for dishonorable reasons.
- No termination from any employment for any type of theft or deception.
Young adults who meet the requirements for membership may fill out the post approved application here: Print Application and Instructions Form
The application forms must be fully completed and factual. Any falsification or misrepresentation of any information in the application is immediate grounds for disqualification or termination from Post 433.
Turn in the completed application to Ofc. Selmon at the West Carrollton Police Department, 300 E. Central Ave., West Carrollton, OH, 45449. Applications can also be turned in to Ofc. Hupp at the Miami Township Police Department, 2660 Lyons Road, Miamisburg, OH, 45342.
Police Department office hours are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Applications can be left with a records clerk at the police department in a 9” x 12” manila envelope.
For more about the Explorers program: www.exploring.org